Thursday, October 16, 2008

Interesting learning from Yoga

I have started attending Yoga classes quite recently, one of the observation has impressed me a lot. Well, I thought I would share it in my blog. It is about 'Chin mudra'. Chin mudra which is shown in the picture below is one of the basic mudra used in Yoga and meditation. It is a mudra (or hand gesture) in which the pointing finger is kept at the root (or tip) of the thumb, the last three fingers are unfolded.

The explanation or the significance behind this mudra is what impressed me a lot. I have actually read 2 explanations. One, ofcourse which talks about cosmic energy, psychic centres and flow of energy. This I hardly understood well.

The second one is more profound in my view, which is more symbolic. It says the three unfolded fingers represent 'trigunas' - Sattva, Rajas and Tamas. The pointing finger represents the 'I', the self, and the thumb is the God, the Supreme Being. The mudra represents the 'I' 'reaches' (or attains) God once he goes beyong the Trigunas. And the normal hand shows that God stands aloof of the Gunas and the sense of 'I', since the thumb stays apart from the other four fingers.

No comments: